S’mores “Cupcakes”

I have a confession to make.
I LOVE S’mores.  I know I shouldn’t. They’re not exactly “good for you”.  But hey, everything in moderation, right?
I’m not necessarily a huge cupcake fan, but what I do like about cupcakes, is that they come in perfect portion sizes.  So I love using cupcake tins to make things other than cupcakes into perfectly portioned packages. This works particularly well for desserts.  I don’t have a huge sweet tooth, but I do love chocolate and often find myself wanting something sweet at some point during the day. Using cupcake tins makes the perfect sized treat to satisfy my craving (plus I have LOTS left over to share 🙂 ).  Behold, S’mores Cupcakes.

Don't you just want to eat one?

Don’t you just want to eat one?

These were ridiculously easy to make. Similar to making rice krispy treats.  Here’s what to do:

Ingredients:

6 Tbsp Light Butter (I used Smart Balance Light with Flax, but regular stick butter would also work fine, I was just trying to save some calories and fat)
1 bag of mini marshmallows (6 cups)
1 box of Golden Grahams cereal (8 cups)
1 (10 oz) bag of mini chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli because I think they make the best chocolate chips….)

Directions:

1. Melt the butter in a (decently large) saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
2. Add in 5 cups of the marshmallows and stir until they are all melted.  Remove from heat.
3. Stir in Golden Grahams cereal until all coated.
4. Add in the bag of mini chocolate chips and the remaining 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Stir until evenly distributed.
5. Spray two muffin tins with non stick spray. (Spray it good – these babies are sticky!)
6. Distribute the s’mores mixture into the cupcake tins and push down on the tops to compact it into the cupcake shape.

Look at that delicious chocolatey goodness...

Look at that delicious chocolatey goodness…

You're getting hungry....you're getting very, very hungry.....

You’re getting hungry….you’re getting very, very hungry…..

 

Then, chill in the fridge (or out on the back porch if it’s as cold where you are as it is here in central PA), until they are set and ready for eating.
Enjoy your moment of campfire bliss 🙂

IMG_0789

 

These were sooooooo good.  And really not too bad for a dessert – just 175 calories and 5 grams of fat per “cupcake” (this recipe made 24 cupcakes).  That’s not a bad bargain for something so tasty.  Plus, it’s all about choices and keeping the balance. If you know you’re going to have one (or two) of these delicious treats, pay attention to what you eat the rest of the day, making sure to make healthy choices.  I know a lot of people tend to think of Nutritionists and Dietitians as “the food police” but honestly we’re not that bad.  Most RD’s follow an “All foods can fit” philosophy.  Living a healthy lifestyle is all about making good choices 80% of the time, and indulging the other 20%.  It just takes a little time, effort, and practice to find that healthy balance.

On another note, I can’t wait to watch the Oscars tonight. Are you watching?  Unfortunately I haven’t seen many of the movies that are up for best picture (an intern’s free time and budget don’t allow for too much movie-going), but my favorite part has always been watching the Red Carpet.  I like to dream about someday getting to wear some of those dresses….

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “S’mores “Cupcakes”

  1. I’m going to forgive you for not being a huge cupcake fan because these look delicious! Plus, I love cupcakes enough for the both of us 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s