Today’s post comes to you just barely adapted from the Smitten Kitchen. I saw this Crushed Pea Dip with Smoky Sesame Dressing and loved how different it was from all the other appetizers/dips that you come across. Let me tell you – I was not disappointed. Cool and crunchy, with that smoky sesame flavor coming through – this dip is sure to please.
1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas (the original post on Smitten Kitchen mentions using fresh peas in pods, which I’m sure would be lovely, but let’s be honest, I don’t have time for that – frozen it is)
1/4 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp tahini (for those of you not familiar with this ingredient, don’t let it scare you away! Tahini is just ground up sesame seeds, similar to peanut butter. You can find it in most grocery stores, usually in the organic/natural section. It’s also that mysterious ingredient in hummus that makes it so deliciously creamy 🙂 )
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1 bunch of scallions
1. Heat peas in microwave safe bowl for 5 minutes with a little bit of water in the bottom of the dish. Then drain the water off.
2. Mash peas using a blunt object – I used a meat pounder, but a potato masher would probably also work well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, water, and spices.
4. Mix about 3 Tbsp of dressing in with the crushed peas and taste (of course, this is served chilled so your taste might be a little off due to the fact that the peas are still warm from the microwave). Add more dressing if you like.
5. Chill in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Then, slice up the scallions into little round circles and sprinkle on top of the dip when you serve it. I ate these with the sea salt variety of PopCorn Chips and it was great, but pitas or other crackers would also work well I’m sure.
And just because a puppy a day keeps all bad things away…..