I had a TON of broccoli that I needed to use up tonight, so what else can a girl do but make broccoli and cheese soup? And if you want to be super cool like me, you can rock out to Disney songs while you’re cooking 😉
Yes, I know there are a million broccoli and cheese soup recipes out there, but where’s the fun in that? So I made up my own.
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
About 10 cups chopped broccoli (I used fresh but I’m sure a bag of frozen would work fine too)
1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian soup)
1.5 cups non-fat evaporated milk
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (I used a block of Cabot and shredded it myself)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 of an 8oz package of light cream cheese (Neufchatel cheese)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1. Steam the broccoli in the microwave in a big, covered bowl with about 1 cup of water in the bottom. (I did it in two batches cause I had so much broccoli). Add both the broccoli and the water in the bottom to a big soup pot. (Using the cooking liquid in the soup allows us to retain all those B vitamins that were lost in the steaming.)
2. In about a tsp of olive oil, saute the onion and garlic till soft. Add to the soup pot.
3. Add the chicken broth to the soup pot and heat it over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer to a blender and blend (in batches if need be) until smooth. Return liquid to the soup pot.
4. Stir in the evaporated milk. Then add in the shredded cheese and mix till cheese melts.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and 2 tbsp water. Then add this mixture to the soup pot. (Heat should be medium high). Stir frequently.
6. Add in the cream cheese and stir until it melts.
7. Add the salt and pepper.
Question of the Day: What’s your favorite soup?
A. Mine is butternut squash soup I think. I’ll have to post that one on here at some point.