I know yesterday’s post wasn’t the greatest, BUT today’s recipe is super awesome – I promise. Yesterday was my grandmother’s birthday, and I needed a dish to bring to the get together, thus the Mediterranean Pasta Salad (with steak) was born.
Isn’t it beautiful?! I certainly think so. And even more importantly, it tasted awesome. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1-2 lbs steak (Sorry I can’t be more exact here. I used a part of a tenderloin that we had in the fridge, and I feel like it was about 2 lbs to start with, but I probably only ended up using 1.5 lbs of it cause i trimmed the not-so-great pieces and fed them to the dogs – no complaints from them.)
- 2 cups sliced sundried tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 a 6oz. bag of baby spinach
- 1 cup Greek Gazebo Room dressing (they also make a “light” option if you want something lower cal)
- 1/2 c. (approximately) cheese (I used about 3 oz. goat cheese, leftover from lemony asparagus goat cheese pasta, and about 1 oz shredded Parmesan, but I feel like Feta would be great too.)
1. Cook the penne according to package instructions.
2. While the pasta is cooking, slice the steak into thin, bite size pieces, and cook in a little olive oil over medium heat on the stove, till browned. (Feed any leftover pieces to any hungry dogs that may be watching you.) At this point, the pasta is probably done cooking so….
3. Strain the pasta, then add it back to the empty pot. Add in the cooked steak pieces, the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, minced garlic, lemon juice, spinach, dressing, and cheese. Stir thoroughly.
4. You can serve this hot or cold. I liked it right when it was finished – it wasn’t hot but it was still warm. I ate it cold the next day and it was still excellent.
Here’s the finished result:
As mentioned, this was sooooooo good. Let me know if you try it!